If you’ve been to a buffet, there’s a good chance that you’ve experienced heartburn. Were the deep-fried mozzarella sticks worth it? Only you can be the judge of that. Heartburn can be an uncomfortable and sometimes debilitating condition that can seriously affect the quality of your life. Many over the counter medications are not effective if your heartburn is severe enough. Some are just not strong enough to combat the acid build-up in your stomach. Fear not. There are many heartburn pain relief prescription medications that can help you feel comfortable again. However, the rising costs of prescription medications can take a toll on your bank account and peace of mind. Advocate My Meds has you covered. We offer prescription assistance for many types of medications that treat GERD and Heartburn, including the very popular medication Nexium.
Heartburn and acid reflux are the same thing. When stomach acid and digesting food is pushed into the entrance of the esophagus, an unpleasant feeling can occur. Downing cups of water sometimes helps. If you’re getting these symptoms daily, it may be time to consider a prescription alternative. Infrequent heartburn may not be an issue for some. However, repeated bouts of heartburn can indicate an underlying disease called GERD. Gastro-esophageal reflux disease is a chronic form of heartburn that is very intense and more severe than regular heartburn. According to the NIH, about 20 of the American population is affected by GERD. This disease is characterized by heartburn that occurs more than twice a week for a period of three weeks or longer.
Heartburn Risk Factors
There are certain types of individuals that are more prone to heartburn than others. This can increase your likelihood for developing GERD or other diseases. You mat be at a higher risk for developing GERD of heartburn if you are:
- Smoke Cigarettes (we offer prescription assistance for Chantix as well)
- You take specific medications that may cause heartburn
- You frequently eat large meals
Since stomach acid persistently and regularly flows up into the esophagus, it can cause many unsavory symptoms. GERD can worsen and turn into other conditions if left untreated.
- Esophagitis: This is an inflammation of the esophagus.
- Esophageal stricture: In this condition, the esophagus becomes narrow, making it difficult to swallow.
- Barrett’s esophagus: The cells lining the esophagus can change into cells similar to the lining of the intestine. This can develop into cancer.
- Respiratory problems: It is possible to breathe stomach acid into the lungs, which can cause a range of problems including chest congestion, hoarseness, asthma, laryngitis, voice changes, and pneumonia.
Living with GERD
If you think you may have GERD, have already been diagnosed with GERD, or are living with constant and severe heartburn, consider a few of these options:
- Weight loss: Stomach fat can put stress on the internal organs. The stomach is no exception. Losing weight can help you in the fight against GERD.
- Eat moderately: The more food in your stomach, the more issues some people may have with GERD. Consider smaller meals at dinner time.
- Stop Smoking: Smokers experience more acid reflux. Bottom line.
- Manage Sleep Habits: Laying down right after eating can increase the chances of acid reflux. Getting enough sleep can help your body heal any symptoms caused by GERD.
- Choose Healthy Food: many foods such as processed and sugary items, coffee, alcohol and very spicy foods may put you at risk for acid reflux.
Nexium Presciption Assistance
If you have a prescription for an acid reflux medication like Nexium, you may be eligible to receive discounts through patient assistance programs. Advocate My Meds provides discounts through over 700 patient assistance programs, and we may be able to help you if your insurance doesn’t cover the costs of your prescription medications. If you are uninsured or underinsured, you may qualify. To find out if we can help with your specific medications, view the list of medications that we help discount for our members on our website. If you’re ready to receive discounts, sign up today or give us a call at 877-596-1604.