There are many forms of pain and with these forms comes many different types of medications for the pain. Everyone experiences pain differently because it is physical, mental or emotional and it is based on a person’s perception of pain and can modifed based on their emotions. If someone is afraid of pain, they experience it differently than someone whom is depressed or has anxiety. There are a variety of ways to treat the different kinds of pain.
These are types of medication from everydayhealth.com
- NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs), including ibuprofen, naproxen, and aspirin
- Acetaminophen (Tylenol)
- Antidepressants, which can improve sleep and alleviate pain
- Anti-seizure medications, which can be effective in treating pain related to nerve damage or injury
- Steroids, like dexamethasone and prednisone, to alleviate inflammation and pain
Pain clinic is a place that focus on chronic pain and management of that pain. In the clinics, there is a team of doctors with different specialties.
- Physical Therapists
- Massage Therapists
With these specialists, you will get the proper treatment for your condition. They put their patients on a plan that may include prescriptions, therapy and other treatments, depending on the pain.
The mind is very powerful and different therapies can help control the pain. There are many different alternatives to medication for pain relief.
It is the practice of calming the mind and creating a clear awareness of the mind and about one’s life. It is universally practiced and is believed to have positive health benefits to help treat physical and mental difficulties. There are two types of most common meditation techniques:
- Concentrative meditation, such as transcendental meditation (TM), focuses on a single image, sound, or mantra (words spoken or sung in a pattern), or on your own breathing.
- Mindful meditation, such as mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR), does not focus on a single purpose. Rather, you are aware of all thoughts, feelings, sounds, or images that pass through your mind.
According to American Psychological Association, “Hypnosis is a set of techniques designed to enhance concentration, minimize one’s usual distractions, and heighten responsiveness to suggestions to alter one’s thoughts, feelings, behavior, or physiological state. Hypnosis is not a type of psychotherapy.” The procedure of hypnosis is to not prevent pain but help with other therapy and treatments. Hypnosis varies on each individual depending on well they respond to hypnosis.
Acupuncture is by stimulating points of the body with needles pricking the skin or tissues to alleviate pain. This also treats physical, emotional and mental variations of pain. It is a referable option by doctors because it is proven to treat chronic pain as well as nausea.
Treatments and technology are improving every year. With many different types of treatments, there are many options for pain. While ones might not work, another will, so it good to stay positive and open with different options when dealing with pain treatment.