What is Bystolic?
Bystolic (nebivolol) is a drug that belongs in a class of drugs called beta-blockers. Beta-blockers also referred to as beta-adrenergic blocking agents, are medications that block the effects of the hormone epinephrine—also known as adrenaline. Bystolic is a beta-blocker that reduces your blood pressure. Upon taking a beta-blocker such as Bystolic, your heart will begin to beat more slowly and with less force as well, thus reducing blood pressure. Blood flow is typically also improved.
Bystolic for High Blood Pressure
High blood pressure (hypertension) is a common condition that when left untreated, can cause a myriad of issues in the body. When the pressure of the blood hitting the walls of your arteries is too strong for too long, it can eventually cause issues such as heart disease. Blood pressure is not just the force of the blood hitting the artery walls, but also the flexibility of the arteries themselves. If they become narrow and constricted and more blood is being pushed through them, that is a parameter of high blood pressure.
Many people have high blood pressure without symptoms and for years it can cause undue stress and damage to the heart. Sometimes, those with high blood pressure may have shortness of breath, headaches or even nosebleeds. These symptoms are typically only present when blood pressure has reached life-threatening levels.
Hypertension is broken up into primary hypertension and secondary hypertension. Primary hypertension develops over the years and there is no discernible cause for it. Secondary hypertension is a more sudden increase in blood pressure which is usually attributable to various conditions or medications that may affect blood pressure.
Risk factors for high blood pressure include but are not limited to:
- Race is a high predictor for blood pressure issues down the road, it is particularly common among the African population. People of African descent are also more susceptible to heart attack, stroke and kidney failure as a result of this susceptibility to high blood pressure.
- Family History. Family history is another determining factor for high blood pressure as hypertension tends to run in families.
- Weight-related obesity is simple: the more you weight, the more blood is needed to supply nutrients to your body.
- Stress is not only a major contributing factor to hypertension, it is also responsible for a cornucopia of problems in the body that escalates due to heightened cortisol levels. Many people often resort to unhealthy coping behaviors such as smoking, drinking, or binge eating to reduce stress.
- Age is a major determinant for high blood pressure, with blood pressure rising with age based on a variety of interdependent factors.
Bystolic Prescription Assistance
Advocate My Meds is a prescription assistance organization that was created to help alleviate some of the financial burdens that have been placed on many people’s shoulders due to the rising costs of prescription medications. Many Americans are uninsured or underinsured and if that was not enough, they are in need of multiple prescriptions. This can add up to quite a large amount of money monthly even with insurance. Drug manufacturers offer discount programs aimed at providing brand name drugs at a discounted cost to those who qualify. Advocate My Meds can advocate for your meds and navigate the application processes for you so that you have the best chance of qualifying for cheaper prescription medications. If you wish to see if you qualify, visit our contact page or give us a call at 877-870-0851!